A delicious variation to the traditional candied sweet potatoes, this savory version compliments any entree year around.
- 2 lbs (4-5 medium) sweet potatoes
- ½ cup pecans – coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ½ pound cooked bacon (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2-3 TBSP bacon grease
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon and cool. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Save 2-3 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Remove Rosemary from the stems and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Peel and dice onion.
- Sauté until nicely caramelized. Use the bacon skillet with a portion of the bacon grease.
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, ½ the bacon, rosemary, maple syrup, and onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Uncover, sprinkle the pecans and remaining bacon on top and return to the oven uncovered.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
For a sweeter dish, drizzle with more maple syrup before serving.