Delicious meal packed with protein and nutrition
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- ¼ cup pesto, homemade or store bought
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Use a damp cloth to remove any dirt from mushrooms. Cut stems off and use a spoon to remove gills, being careful not to break sides of the mushrooms. If there is not enough room for an egg, scrape out a bit of the mushroom flesh. Brush mushroom tops with olive oil and place topside down, on the prepared baking sheet. Use portobellos that have higher sides and not so flat to prevent the egg from spilling out
- Broil in the preheated oven until mushrooms start to release liquid, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour out any accumulated liquid from the mushrooms and pat the insides dry with a paper towel. Return mushrooms to the baking sheet. Lightly brush the foil with additional oil to prevent sticking.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pesto into each mushroom. Gently crack an egg into each mushroom and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until whites are set and egg yolks are done to your liking, 12 to 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley and chives
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Calories 218 kcals; Total Fat 19g; Saturated Fat 5g; Cholesterol 193mg; Sodium 222mg; Total Carbohydrate 2g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Total Sugars 0g; Protein 10g; Vitamin C 4mg; Calcium 163mg; Iron 2mg; Potassium 126mg.