Deliciously moist and hearty for any meal or snack.
½ cup buttermilk (for substitute use: ½ cup milk and 1 ½ tsp. white vinegar)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 T. vegetable oil
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
¼ cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- If not using buttermilk, mix the substitute milk and white vinegar into a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix both flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk pumpkin, brown sugar, white sugar, vegetable oil and egg in a large bowl. Beat in the buttermilk/milk-vinegar combination until smooth. Gently combine the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Fold in chopped fresh and dried cranberries.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin cups. Bake the muffins in the 375°F oven for about 25 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of a muffin until the toothpick comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack for full cooling.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Per Serving: 148.6 calories; protein 2.8g; carbohydrates 28.1g; dietary fiber 2.1g; sugars 16.1g; fat 3.4g; saturated fat 0.7g; cholesterol 16.3mg; sodium 236.1mg