Experience the delectable tastes of a Hawaiian luau in just a few simple steps.
3 pounds chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and trimmed of visible fat
2 cups water
2 cups low-sodium soy sauce
1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup green onions, chopped
¼ cup white onion, chopped
½ tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. sesame oil
- To make the marinade, whisk water, soy sauce, coconut milk, brown sugar, green onions, white onion, sesame oil, and garlic together in a large ceramic or glass bowl. Add chicken thighs and toss to coat evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the bowl and discard the remaining marinade.
- Grill the chicken 5 to 7 minutes per side, until it is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat should read at least 165° F (74° C).
- Serve hot with a suggested side of rice, grilled pineapple and steamed broccoli or edamame. Garnish with chopped green onion, celery or another favorite food embellishment.
Note: The recipe makes plenty of marinade for adding more chicken if you entertain guests or want extra for leftovers.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Per Serving: 530 calories; protein 33.4g; carbohydrates 36g; fat 28.6g; saturated fat 14.1g; cholesterol106mg; sugars 28.5g; dietary fiber 1.9g; sodium 2240.9mg; iron 5mg