This Chicken a la King recipe creates a quick, delicious meal for busy families and is easy to make—even for the new cooks!
- 1 rotisserie chicken – picked off the bone, skinless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 bell peppers cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup milk (avoid nut-based milk)
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 TBSP Better than Bouillon reduced sodium chicken base
- 2 6 oz. cans of mushrooms stems and caps (low sodium if preferred)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pan at medium heat
- Add flour and stir for approximately 5 minutes or until it begins to brown slightly- Do not leave unattended!
- While flour is cooking, add chicken base to hot water and combine with milk
- Whisk in milk/water/chicken base mixture until well incorporated.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a low simmer
- Add peppers, mushrooms and chicken
- Cook until sauce thickens
- Salt and pepper to taste
Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes