This month, we’re focusing on eye health, because we want you to be able to see all the best parts of life clearly. Here are a few simple things you can do to protect your eyes and keep them healthy.
- Find a pair of sunglasses you like, and make sure they have UVA and UVB protection. This way, you can enjoy your pool days and time outside this summer without worrying about your eyes!
- An easy tip for keeping your eyes healthy is to wash your hands! You may touch your eyes more than you realize, and making sure your hands are clean is a simple way to avoid spreading germs and slowing down your week with something like pink eye. By the way, if something like that comes up, our thinkquick walk-in clinic is open to all!
- Keep your prescription up to date. You may not even notice that your prescription is changing, which is why it’s important to have regular checkups with your optometrist. Wearing the wrong prescription can put strain on your eyes, give you headaches and prevent you from seeing clearly. Both of our Think optometrists will be happy to see you at a convenient time.
- Avoid too much screen time. Computers and phones give off “blue light,” which can be harmful to your eyes over time. There are easy steps you can take to minimize the effect of blue light on your eyes:
- Lower the brightness on your phone and computer screen. Deploy the “night mode” on your smartphone that eliminates blue light.
- If you’re using a computer at work all day, take a break from looking at the screen every 20 minutes or so to give your eyes a rest.
- If your eyes begin to feel irritated, try some lubricating eye drops, and blink a few extra times.
- Of course, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, which has positive impact on your eye health, too. Smoking can lead to the deterioration of the blood vessels in the eye, which can cause greater problems like macular degeneration. Taking care of your body will help your eyes stay healthier longer.
July is a great time of the year, as the weather gets hot, picnics and water sports abound, and family vacations are in the works. See it all and enjoy the time with your friends and family. These eye tips can help you do just that!